Sewing is stitching clothes and items together with the use of needle and thread. Earlier everything was done manually but it obviously took a lot of time and energy. To decrease this labor and get the same work done faster with more efficiency, sewing machines were invented. It was invented by Thomas Saint in 1790, benefiting the clothing industry in several ways.
In sewing and haberdashery, accessories or small objects like buttons, snaps, collar stays and other items which are sewn or attached to finished clothes or products are called notions. Operators in this industry basically run the business of retail of sewing supplies, yarns, sewing machines, fabrics, needlework accessories and other decorative items. Sewing machines are kept in separate storage with other sewing supplies and should be available whenever required. There are various other items which are important and necessary for sewing like measuring tape, thread, needle, marking chalks, scissors etc. Other items like tailor’s square, tracing wheel, right-angle triangles and many others which are required only by experts are known as non-essentials, not being essential or necessary for stitching. But it depends on what is essential or not essential for you. The most important thing is to have a reliable source of sewing supplies if you want to start your career in this field or if you are already into it. For more informaton about sewing click here.
Some of the important sewing supplies
- Shears: These are little different from scissors and are designed for heavy work.
- Scissors: There are various scissors used in the clothing industry like button-hole scissors, dressmaking scissors, electric scissors, embroidery scissors, pinking shears and dressmakers’ shares
- Scissor cutting gauge: It is helpful in cutting long strips of cloth.
- Pins: Pins are very important in dressmaking and choosing sharp and rust free pins is important.
- Thimble: These are basically made of brass or silver to protect the finger from needle pricking and for directing the needle through the fabric.
- Needles: These are used for stitching with thread and need to be of fine quality. Its size and thickness vary according to the cloth that has to be stitched.
- Thread: It is made of fibers and needs to be chosen according to the color of the cloth.
- Thread clipper: It is used for effectively snipping threads.
- Pincushion: Used as an arm around the sewing machine made with suitable material for covering it.
- Iron: It is important to iron the cloth while cutting, sewing and after it is ready.
- Ironing board: An ironing board with a cotton pad and one which is easily adjustable and has sturdy legs is good for ironing.
- Seam ripper: It is used for ripping seams.
- Sponge: Used to dampen the cloth while ironing.
- Sleeve board: It provides two flat ironing surfaces for seams to be easily ironed.
- Sewing machine: It is the most important tool for stitching and can be of any type, normal or electric.
Other than these some important sewing supplies are measuring tape, marking chalk, colored tape and other measuring equipment.